First Ever Annual International European CDH Conference
Last December we held a Facebook contest and you voted for your favorite Research Center to get a $10,000 CDH Research Grant. We were able to give away 2 grants for $10,000 each thanks to all your help selling 50/50 CDH Raffle tickets and thanks to 1 determined family who raised $10,000 in memory of their daughter! $10,000 went to The Center for Fetal Diagnosis and Treatment at CHOP and $10,000 went to DHREAMS Research Study (Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia).
2014 CHERUBS Annual Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia Conference
CDH MEDICAL CONFERENCE
Never before has there been an all-encompassing conference for the study and support of patients affected by Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia.
The first ever joint CDH medical and family conference is sponsored by MassGeneral Hospital for Children’s Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia Genetic Study and CHERUBS – The Association of Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia Research, Awareness and Support.
This conference includes all medical specialties that work with CDH patients including pediatric surgeons, neonatologists, geneticists, dieticians, pediatricians, pulmonologists and others as well as the patients and families affected by CDH to come together to search for the cause, prevention and best treatments of Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia.
All medical professionals are welcome to attend both the CDH Medical and CDH Family Conferences. There is a $150 conference fee for medical professionals.
Medical Professionals only allowed on Tuesday, June 24th
POSTER AND PAPER SUBMISSIONS
They will be reviewed jointly by your conference hosts.
The following have presented at CDH Family Conferences in past years:
• Jay Wilson, MD - Boston Children's Hospital, Harvard University
• Patricia Donahoe, Massachusetts General Hospital
• Michael R. Harrison, MD - University of California at San Francisco Fetal Treatment Center
• David Kays, MD - University of Florida at Gainesville / SHANDS
• Meaghan Russell, MPH and Mauro Longoni - Mass General Genetic CDH Study Program
• Marc Arkovitz, MD and Julia Wynn - New York Presbyterian Columbia / DHREAMS
• Bella Belleza-Bascon, RN, MHA - Texas Children's Hospital / Fetal Center, Baylor College of
• Kevin Lally, MD - CDH Study Group
• Daryl Scott, MD and David Pearson - Baylor Genetic CDH Study Program
• Dr. Edmund Yang, St. Louis Fetal Care Institute
• Ruben Quintero, MD - Fetal Treatment Program
• Priscilla Chiu, MD - Sick Children's, Toronto, Canada
• Brenda Slavin, RN - Children's National Medical Center, Washington DC
CDH CONFERENCE SCHEDULETuesday, June 24th
• Pizza Party
Wednesday, June 25th - Support Day
• Round Table Discussions (parents)
• Medical Conference (medical professionals only)
Thursday, June 26th - Awareness Day
• Parade of Cherubs
• Capitol Hill Meetings
Friday, June 27th - Research Day
• Medical Speakers
• Medical Q&A Panel
• Free Genetic Testing
Friday, June 27th - Capitol Hill Ball
• Evening event on Capitol Hill to wrap up the week, have fun, say good-byes
• $25 per person
• Includes dinner and dancing
• Children welcome!
Because our conferences are confidential to maintain privacy and allow parents to talk freely about their journeys with CDH, we only allow members of CHERUBS to attend. This is also to keep our members safe and medical information private. All CDH parents are invited to join CHERUBS for free by registering at our site at http://www.cdhboards.org
• 3 half-days so you have time to see local attractions
• Pizza party and parade of cherubs
• World renown guest speakers
• Great round-table discussions for families of survivors and angels
• Participate in CDH Research
• Meet other CDH families
• Kids are always welcome!
• Special needs families often qualify for grants to attend (check with your social worker)
• Our conference makes a wonderful family vacation
About The CDH Family Conference:
• Expect to learn a lot about Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia!
• Our guestspeakers are always the best in their fields, bringing us new information every year!
• ALL CDH families are welcome to attend! This includes families of survivors, grieving families and expectant families.
• Our conferences include family introductions, round-table discussions, research guest lectures, Q&A sessions and much more!
• Each conference runs for 3 half-days; CDH Research Day, CDH Awareness Day and CDH Support Day.
• CHERUBS conferences are planned to be educational, supportive and affordable!
• Our conference hotels always include breakfasts• Attendance fee this year is $50 per person or $150 per family of 3 or more
• Meet new friends, see old friends and participate in research for various hospitals.
• Our conferences are always half days so that families can enjoy local tourist attractions.
• Children are welcome and babysitting services will be provided during conference hours.
• Our conferences are held near top rated hospitals for safety.
• We take photos, we videotape intros and lectures but we ALWAYS respect member confidentiality and privacy!
• Join in our new Parade of Cherubs at every conference!
• Join in our balloon releases at every conference!
• We have a pizza party on the first night of every conference.
• Kid's get a chance to learn the CDH kids song and perform on the last day of the conference.
• For safety and privacy of our members, you MUST be a member of CHERUBS to attend. You may register for free at http://www.cdhboards.org
• Many families of survivors are eligible for grants to cover travel expenses to medical
conferences. Ask your child's social worker for more information.
Registration for CDH families is just $5.00 per person for the entirety of the conference and includes pizza party.
ACCOMODATIONSOur Host Hotel is the Sheraton Suites in Old Town Alexandria.
Book rooms at https://www.starwoodmeeting.com/StarGroupsWeb/booking/reservation?id=1401223508&key=70E5
We have blocked 30 rooms at $189.00 per night for SUITES. These suites include 2 rooms with a King and a Double Sofa Bed. They are non-smoking, have a kitchenette and we also negotiated free breakfasts for 4 people per room. The hotel offers a pool, free airport shuttle, free shuttle to the Metro and is located in historic downtown Alexandria with lots of sites within walking distance. This rate is good for June 24th- 29th only.
Sheraton Suites in Old Town Alexandria
801 North St. Asaph Street,
Alexandria, VA 22314
SPONSORSHIP & VENDOR OPPORTUNITIES
Pizza Party - During this session the medical professionals, researchers, and families will come together for food and fellowship. This is the night prior to the beginning of the Family Conference, and families introduce themselves and share their CDH stories.
3 $1000 sponsorships are available.
Kids Entertainment room: Entertainment room with babysitters during parent conference only (Wednesday, Friday 8am-12pm). $1000.Capitol Hill Reception - $10,000 sponsorship includes your company name on evening materials, recognition during events, seating at table with Senator / Congressman.
Other Sponsorship Opportunities:
Information/Advertisements in bags- $250
CHERUBS MEDICAL ADVISORY BOARD
• Patricia Donahue, MD – Massachusetts General Hospital
• David Kays, MD – University of Florida at Gainesville
• Henry Rice, MD – Duke University Medical Center
• Edmund Yang, MD – Fetal Treatment Center of St. Louis
• N. Scott Adzick, MD – Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
• Kevin Lally, MD, MS - University of Texas Medical School at Houston, CDH Study Group• Wendy Chung, MD - Columbia Presbyterian, DHREAMS• Doug Miniati, MD - University of California San Francisco
• Jan Deprest, MD, PhD - University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
• Paul Losty, MD FRCSI FRCS(Eng) FRCS(Ed) FRCS(Paed) – Liverpool University, UK• Steadman McPeters, NP - Pediatric Surgery Nurse Practioner, HuntsvilleCDH Family Conference:Because our conferences are confidential to maintain privacy and allow parents to talk freely about their journeys with CDH, we only allow members of CHERUBS to attend. This is also to keep our members safe and medical information private. All CDH parents are invited to join CHERUBS for free by registering at our site at http://www.cdhboards.org
* 3 half-days so you have time to see local attractions
* Pizza party and parade of cherubs
* World reknown guest speakers
* Great round-table discussions for families of survivors and angels
* Participate in CDH Research
* Meet other CDH families
* Hotel rooms are always affordable for the area
* Kids are always welcome!
* Special needs families often qualify for grants to attend (check with your social worker)
* Our conference make a wonderful family vacation!!!!
BREAKING NEWS: CHERUBS was created to help families of babies born with Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia by providing support services, promoting research and raising awareness in 1995. In 2017, the organization evolved into CDH International and CHERUBS became the family support division of a new, global entity.
Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia (CDH) is a birth defect that occurs when a baby's diaphragm fails to fully form, allowing abdominal organs to enter the chest cavity and preventing lung growth. CDH occurs in 1 in every 2500 babies, which equals to 1600 babies born each year with CDH in the United States alone. The overall survival rate is 50%. The cause is unknown.
Founded in 1995 by 2 parents, CHERUBS is the world's oldest and largest non-profit organization for families affected by CDH, serving over 6100 members in 61 countries. By working closely with hospitals and other charities, CHERUBS has led the way for families for over two decades and fought for awareness, research funding and greatly needed services for all families, at all hospitals, around the world.
We are here to help families at the time of diagnoses, through birth, hospitalization and even after the death of their children. No family has to fight CDH alone. And we will keep fighting until CDH is eradicated.
Join us in the battle to save the lives of these children.